The 1973 Triumph Stag Rebuild



Aug2019:
Before taking the car down off the rotisserie I prepped and painted inside the boot, engine bay and hood storage area. The rest of the interior is already covered and I wont bother making that body cover. I covered the underneath with 3M Rocker Schutz then a couple of coats of colour. The paint I wanted to use (PPG DCC) has no direct code for the Truimph Mallard Blue that I need so I has a small item scanned. Unfortunately its much much too dark so I had to mess with it, not easy! It consists of blue, green black and a little white so I simply added a quart of the blue green and white in the same ratios, that improved things but was still too dark so I added a few more oz of white.. Too much! now its too light. Another addition of blue green and black got it where I want it. This was an expensive mistake.. This paint costs around $800 a gallon but having used it before its absolutely the best, lays down really easily and looks fantastic when its done so no regrets. I'm happy with the boot and interior but I think the engine bay will need another coat.


Sept 2019:
Next was to get the car off the rotisserie and onto a dolly as the paint prep will be easier there. I made one from 4x4 wood at a cost of around $40 and am quite pleased with it.


Sept/Oct 2019:
After using filler and getting the body pretty straight 2 coats of grey epoxy was applied, It did not take a lot of filler as the body was not too bad. Over that went 2 coats of buff coloured polyester "featherfill" This is the first time I have used that and it went well, it sprayed fine using a 2.0 gun nozzle. I always use a contrasting colour like this so that its really easy to see when to stop sanding. That was dry blocked with 80 grit and then 120 then another 2 coats and blocked again using 320 and 400. A dip in the rear of the boot was a bit too much for the featherfill so I used some polyester filler to level it before another 2 coats went on to that area and a couple of more areas that still needed a bit more blocking. In the picture of the rear wing the grey areas are where its down to the epoxy, dark brown is the guide coat, time to stop! Once it was all blocked a seal coat of epoxy followed by 2 coats of hi-build primer. This was wet sanded with 600 grit wet/dry in readyness for the final colour coat.


Oct 2019:
Paint day! I spent the previous days preparing the garage, pressure wash the whole thing and used plastic sheet to isolate the problem areas. 5 fans with filters were used to vent and a frame with filters to sit under the garage door for air inlet. The top area of the garage door was sealed off and 6 extra strip lights, 4 on the ceiling either side of the body and 2 loose on the floor so that I could see the underside. So busy I forgot to take a picture!. I used a borrowed air fed respirator which is a bit of a pain with the extra hose to worry about but by far the safest option. Anyway the doors, bonnet and bootlid were done first, no problems, no runs. After they had dried, about an hour they were moved outside, the floor was pressure washed again, filters replaced and the body came in Next the body was started by using the detail gun and catching all of the fiddly bits, wheel arches, door jambs, windscreen and the seams where the chrome trim clips on to at front and rear. Then the big gun came out and the rest of the body was sprayed. I had one senior moment and forgot to check that the gun cup was full enough when I started the final coat on one of the rear wings, I ran out half way down the panel and in the 30 secs it took me to top it off the paint had run. Bugger.. I'll need to fix that later, good news is that have enough paint to shoot it again should I need to. Aside from that I'm happy, some dirt nibs which was always going to happen when spraying in a home garage but it already looks great, and will be even better once I colour sand it.. The Mallard colour is fantastic, Its basically green most of the time then surprises you by looking blue! I think it depends on the cloud cover..


Nov 2019:
I experimented with the Festool nib remover I just purchased, Its very expensive but overall I would say worth it for the time it saves. Initially I was too heavy handed and damaged some paint but as I did this on the panel I was going to reshoot anyway that was OK. Once I went easy with it it took all of the dirt nibs and paint runs out, and after reshooting that panel I was able to colour sand and buff the whole car down to bring out a nice even shine. quite pleased with the results now. Boot and bonnet were fitted and things finally look to be coming on. I will not install the doors for a while yet as the garage is pretty limited in space and they would cause acess problems. I also will be leaving it on the dolly so I can move it easily whilst I get some of the work done, especially to the interior.